Kim Gray was elected to the Richmond School Board in 2008 as the Second District representative. During the next eight years, she repeatedly demonstrated a keen grasp of the City’s budget process and the needs of the Richmond City Schools system. Armed with a full understanding of how to take Richmond’s schools to the next level, she is running for the vacant 2nd District City Council seat.
A native Richmonder and longtime resident of Jackson Ward, Kim has dedicated her life to increasing opportunities for our city’s families. A devoted mother, civic leader, and public servant, she has spent nearly 20 years working tirelessly to shape the lives of children through her involvement in state government, non-profits, and civic organizations.
In 2003, after years of involvement with nonprofits and civic organizations, Kim was appointed by Governor Mark Warner to help implement his innovative Partnership for Achieving Successful Schools (PASS) initiative. Through Kim's efforts to promote partnerships between the business and non-profit community, the PASS program raised student achievement in some of the lowest performing schools in the Commonwealth. Kim’s work on behalf of Virginia’s communities continued with a four-year appointment in the administration of Governor Tim Kaine.
Kim's children celebrate the 2016 graduation of sister Neziah Goodman from the College of William & Mary.
Acknowledgements and Accolades:
- Recognized by the United Way as an Emerging Leader in 1997.
- Selected for Leadership Metro Richmond’s Class of 2006.
- Named by Style Weekly as one of Richmond’s 2009 “Top 40 under 40.”
- Graduated from UVA's Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership’s 2010 Political Leaders Program.
- Elected Chairwoman of the Southside Region of the Virginia School Board Association in 2012.
- Fellow with the Centers for Disease Control.
Community Service and Organizations:
- Greater Richmond Parent Teacher Student Association
- Historic Jackson Ward Association
- Junior League of Richmond
- Richmond Crusade for Voters
- Fan District Association
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
Other Personal Information:
- Resident of Jackson Ward for over twenty years
- Studied at Virginia Commonwealth University
- Political Affiliation: Democrat
Kim Gray is a leader who gets results and has the knowledge and experience to succeed in this position. Kim would greatly appreciate your support during the 2016 campaign. Please contact KimGray4RVA@gmail.com if you have any questions.